Thursday, October 11, 2007

Encountering Genesis 2:6 on Wednesday afternoon.

“But a mist used to rise from the earth…”, this was the text that opened up yesterday in of all places a Hebrew class studying the imperfect qal stem of Hebrew verbs. For many people that would seem to be the last place that one would have an existential experience with the Word of God, but it that is what happened for me at around 4:30 pm. In my mind’s eye I beheld that mist rising and it was a wonderful sight to behold. Now I long for the day when I will be able to proclaim to those who will hear that “…a midst used to rise from the earth…” Why do I say that for many that would seem to be the last place they would expect to see such things? Because for them it is to academic. The real issue however is not a matter being academic or non-academic, it is a matter of the sovereign Spirit moving. The wind blows where it wills, so does the Spirit. The Spirit moves through his Word and the academy helps us to at least see how the Spirit has moved the writers to write and thus come to understand His word. In order to feel the Spirit we need to stand where the wind blows.

Robert

No comments: